2006-07-01

Winbloze

It looks like CodeWeavers is working on a Mac version of their WINE based software CrossOver for the new Intel Macs, CrossOver Mac. From what I can tell their software makes installing WINE applications easier. All this sounds even better than using Parallels or VirtualPC (my current solution with runs QuickBooks reasonably well, but is useless for SolidWorks) since it does not require a full installation of Windows to run Windows Applications. I am not sure what the performance will be like. As it stands, QuickBooks is listed as supported, while SolidWorks is not. From what I read WINE supports OpenGL, so if SolidWorks could be installed, then it might actually be useable. All this leads towards my goal of having just one computer that can do everything I need to do. And all boils down to finding some solution to alow me to run SolidWorks on my Mac side-by-side with all the other programs I use everyday. Not there yet.

No comments: